Skip to main content

Beyond Generative AI: The Quiet Revolution in Scientific Image Analysis




The world today is witnessing the AI revolution like no other. It has reached everyone's phone, with large language models (LLMs) that generate text and more recently, images and videos, becoming the main carrier of this large scale mass adoption of AI. However, alongside the LLM or generative AI, there is another quieter revolution happening. This has not so much to do with generating new text, images or videos, but more to do with the analysis of existing images and videos. Object detection, classification, segmentation, automated annotation and analyses is not something that one may need in everyday life. But, it has become absolutely revolutionary in scientific research and healthcare.


Extensive resources and immense efforts have also gone into the development of several deep learning algorithms for object detection and segmentation of biological image datasets. Deep learning applications in biological imaging rely on a mix of classical detection and segmentation models, each suited to different challenges posed by microscopy data. Two-stage detectors like the Faster R-CNN provide high accuracy for small objects such as cells and nuclei, while one-stage models like YOLO (You Only Look Once) and SAM (Segment Anything Model) enable faster, real-time analysis in applications ranging from bacterial cells (1-2 micron in size) to larger organisms like C. elegans (1-2 mm in size). Other segmentation models such as U-Net and Mask R-CNN allow pixel-level identification of structures even in dense or overlapping samples. 

Therefore, today, there is a growing repertoire of AI models and they are becoming increasingly powerful, accessible and specialized. The possibilities are vast, and limited only by our imagination. The question is no longer whether AI can transform how we analyze scientific images and videos, but how far we are willing to take it. Scientists who embrace these tools today will not simply be adopting a new technology; they will be shaping the future of how scientific research is conducted. And, those who ignore it may find themselves trying to catch up with a revolution that has already begun.

Here are some latest models to help get started:

Some applications to biological image and video datasets based on the above models:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Looking back on the last 5 years: Dedicated to my students

IISER Bhopal Campus I remember my first day at IISER Bhopal on 31st Jan. 2019. I had just arrived, all jet-lagged and groggy eyed. I filled up all the forms, met the HOD of my department and was taken to my new office. Thereafter, I was asked to go to the Chirayu Hospital for a medical check-up, was asked to fill up some more forms upon my return to campus and left to my own devices. However, I did not have a bank account, a phone number, a PAN card and most importantly, good internet (hah!). Procuring all these over the course of the next 10 days led to varying levels of frustration with the Indian system. It was a reverse cultural shock in some sense and made me question my decision of coming back to India. I think it is fair to say that my postdoctoral experience in the US had left me drained and this new life here was not helping in making me feel better. I was like a fish out of water, not able to find comfort anywhere. The next few months of my professional life were a struggle w...

A letter to the "smart" students

To the students who think they're so smart that they can fool the instructor: Sorry to break this to you, but no, you're not fooling anybody! In fact, you are the fool if you think otherwise. So, let me tell you something that might shine a light on your otherwise dead brain. Learning is a two-way street. If you want to learn, I am willing to teach over and beyond what is expected of me. I will still teach even if you don't want to learn because that is my job. However, like they say, you can only bring the horse to the water, you cannot make it drink.  When you leave the class, I notice. When you talk, I notice. When you don't bring a notebook or a pen and pretend to be attentive, I notice. So, to reiterate, you're really not fooling anybody. I frankly don't care. I am happier teaching a small class of students who are sincere and want to learn. In fact, that's better for me. As then, we are in sync and I don't have to worry about the distractor...

Phrases that must never be used when talking to your PhD Guide

There are some phrases that must never be uttered when talking to your PhD guide. 'Coz if you do, then you might have to endure a lecture from him/her that will leave you wondering what got into you, that you said that!! "You said so earlier..." : Never ever say this. If your Prof. asks you to remove something from your presentation that he himself had asked you to add, you're done for if you tell him, "But, you asked me to put this in earlier". The standard reply you may get will be something like this- "I may have said so many things." Or worse, you may get a scorn for a reply that will instantly shut you up. "I didn't get time to..." : You should definitely steer clear from saying anything of this sort. 'Coz if you do, then before you even finish your sentence, you're bound to get a look that says, "What? You didn't get time?!!." Then your Prof. will ask you, "So, what is it that you do that you don't...