I have taught 4 different courses, each many times since I joined the Institute. Although I approached teaching very skeptically and hesitantly in the beginning, I have come to enjoy portions of it, especially when I'm deep into the problem solving phase of the course. One such course that I've taught many times is the basic Quantum Mechanics (QM) for 3rd year students. I've always enjoyed problem solving lectures in this course, and it seems that the students have enjoyed it too over the years. On one occasion after teaching this course, one of the students review comments mentioned that they enjoyed this course a lot and would have benefitted even more had I also taught the Mathematical Methods (MM) and the Statistical Mechanics (SM) courses as well. These courses precede and follow QM, respectively, in their course curriculum. I think this was the ultimate compliment and I couldn't be more grateful that students recognized the effort.
Although I have taught MM several times, for whatever reason, coincidentally, I was not assigned to teach it to this set. And, it just so happened that I have not taught the SM course so far. So this year, finally, I have decided and also been assigned the SM course. This is again a course that is going to involve many problem solving lectures. And, my only wish is that both I and the students approach it with the same enthusiasm as the other courses in the past.
Other learnings over the years have been as much to do with the preparation of the material as with the timing and duration of each topic that is introduced. Pacing the lectures is something that requires constant re-evaluation, given the large cohort with varied aptitudes and interests. To hold their attention, challenge them, while also taking care to include those who may not necessarily want to be there is no mean task. However, I do try with utmost sincerity every semester. And, although I know that it is impossible to perfect it and make everyone happy, I hope I'm getting as close to it as possible.
Here's to another semester of learning, both for me and my students!
xxRS
Comments
Post a Comment