Skip to main content

Feminist panels for science and why I avoid them

Someone recently asked me if I attend panel discussions or other meetings related to women's issues in science. And I replied that I don't. In fact I actively avoid it and decline the invitation even when someone specifically asks me to be on the panel. This got me thinking about why I don't like to attend these. After all, I do feel very strongly about equal participation of and opportunities for women in scientific research and other activities.  But somehow I don't feel like I am the right person to talk about or discuss serious issues, especially, at a public forum. 

These forums are generally used to discuss serious issues. Many girls actually face a lot of difficulty in accessing higher education. There is generally a severe lack of opportunity for them and the few that are available require them to fight hard battles against their own families for them to have a chance. Considering this ground reality, I, on the other hand, am one of the privileged few who has had all the support from her family and was given the freedom to pursue a career in science. I also had very good mentorship during my PhD where I was encouraged to do my best and aim for the highest. Given this fact, I feel I am too privileged to have an opinion or to dish out advice on the serious issues faced by women who have actually had to fight hard battles to reach where they are today. 

However, even in this relative privilege, there still are systemic issues that academic institutes and academicians need to work on. One important aspect of personal life that often goes against women is that of marriage. Many Institutes in India and around the world have a bias against hiring women who are married. Hiring committee members sometimes make callous remarks, such as, a woman is too much into her marriage and kids and therefore may not be able devote as much time to research. This kind of remark is often made by the already married men who also have children of their own but are somehow themselves exempt from the same judgment. The hypocrisy is real. A related issue arises when women are sometimes not taken seriously with regards to their profession. Prof. Sumathi Rao has written about this in her autobiographical essay, https://www.hri.res.in/~sumathi/sumathiessay.html, which is an inspirational read. It definitely requires dedication and strength to go ahead and change the field of research at the stage of the career where she did. Another commonplace remark is of how girls somehow distract "good" boys and take them away from research. It is as if these boys have no will of their own and the girls pursue them without their consent. This is obviously not true and again is a very callous remark.  

I do retort if I'm within earshot when these remarks are made. But, this is a systemic issue that can only be changed one remark at a time and with more women in the mix. There is no magic wand to go 20 years into the future when things are more normalized and the bias is less. Time will do its trick gradually, and we have to do our part until then. But, I don't think I have any role to play in the many panel discussions that happen. I believe I can play a much more active role in stopping or at least discouraging the callous remarks that are made every now and then through the year rather than on a panel discussion or a meeting that happens once a year. So, this is the thought process that comes into play when I decline those invitations. I hope there comes a time when there is true equality, when there is no bias, when women don't second guess themselves and confidently move ahead in step with the men.  Until then, we keep trying.

xxRS


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A letter to the "smart" students

To the students who think they're so smart that they can fool the instructor: Sorry to break this to you, but no, you're not fooling anybody! In fact, you are the fool if you think otherwise. So, let me tell you something that might shine a light on your otherwise dead brain. Learning is a two-way street. If you want to learn, I am willing to teach over and beyond what is expected of me. I will still teach even if you don't want to learn because that is my job. However, like they say, you can only bring the horse to the water, you cannot make it drink.  When you leave the class, I notice. When you talk, I notice. When you don't bring a notebook or a pen and pretend to be attentive, I notice. So, to reiterate, you're really not fooling anybody. I frankly don't care. I am happier teaching a small class of students who are sincere and want to learn. In fact, that's better for me. As then, we are in sync and I don't have to worry about the distractor

Tribute to Kankan Sir

Prof. Kankan Bhattacharyya was an eminent scientist and I'm sure his students will tell you about all the ways he trained them to become scientists. However, my interactions with him and memories of him are more of  a personal nature. I first met him in February 2019 right after I joined IISER Bhopal to begin my independent research career. In the dining hall of the Visitors Hostel at IISER Bhopal, there was one person who was the loudest, constantly cracking jokes, teasing people and taking the conversation forward. I was introduced to him, i.e, Kankan Sir, by one of my colleagues there and he immediately involved me too in the ongoing conversation. He was that person who instantly made you feel at home. Every day following this first interaction was a joy as he was constantly the life of the dining hall. Everyone  used to be clustered around him. He was such an enthusiastic person and so full of life that it was infectious. He also, in his own way, constantly tried to motivate us

Pachinko by Min Jin Lee: A book review

Pachinko by Min Jin Lee My rating: 4 of 5 stars Pachinko is a story spanning four generations of a Korean family living in Japan during the tumultuous 20th century that saw the annexation of Korea by Japan and the two world wars. The story of the family is pretty tragic. They deal with poverty, discrimination, suicide, forced imprisonment, all consequences of war and hatred from Japanese. What I liked about this book is that it tells you a lot about what happens when people are displaced and try to make a new place their home in the time of war and chaos. I admit my ignorance in that I had never heard of the term "Zainichi" which literally means foreigners living in Japan. The Zainichi even though born and raised in Japan are not considered Japanese citizens. They were made to choose between North and South Korea after the Korean war of the 1950s even though they have not known any country other than Japan. These people have faced a lot of discrimination and negativ