I am turning 30 today. I thought I didn't really care about that number. It didn't matter, it's just a number I told myself, same as 29, or 28. But as it turns out, I am a little sad. I am sad that I will no longer be in my 20s, the decade I considered undeniably "young". This is also a time that is making me introspect about what I am yet to do, yet to learn and yet to achieve. It is silly really, but I think all the years of brainwashing that society and movies drill into you have had an effect on me. I thought I was immune to this, but apparently I am not.
But, if you look at it another way, I needn't be sad at all. In fact, I should be happy that I am still young and have seen a little bit of life and therefore am wiser. So today, I want to remind myself of all the good things in my life and also of all that I have achieved so far, the goals I had set that have been completed, or are at least on their way to completion.
- I am an independent working woman and live my life on my own terms.
- I may not be as well off to own the big things, but I am comfortable, comfortable enough to be able to send some money home every month and yet not feel deprived for the lack of it.
- According to my mentor, I have made good professional decisions about my career and am on the right path. This validation is very important to me as I respect him a lot and know that if he says something, it is to be believed.
- I have faced a lot of struggle during my childhood and am so much the stronger for it. It has shaped my personality in a way that I am grateful for.
- I have become comfortable living alone, even started enjoying it. This is something that makes you stronger and realize your strengths and weaknesses like nothing can.
- I have been in a stable relationship for more than 5 years now and feel proud and lucky to have found the right person who is on the same page as me and understands me so well.
- I have cultivated some good friendships over the years and even though I may not see them as often as I would like to, I know that they have my back and I theirs. And, I am so grateful to have them in my life.
- I have a wonderful family who have given me the freedom to do what I like, who love me unconditionally and support me wholeheartedly no matter what!
- I have done some travelling, have seen new places and am all geared up to see more in the coming years.
- I have not shied away from learning new things, even those that have put me out of my comfort zone and am so much the richer for it!
So, all I want to say to myself today is "Happy birthday. You are doing well. Just keep at it. :) :)"