Skip to main content

Home

Mami often asks me if I miss home, if I miss her. I don't know the answer to this question. I have been living away from home for more than 8 years now. I am used to not living with my family, not seeing them on a day to day basis. I am used to learning about their wellbeing by just talking to them on the phone. But then again, I often think of home. Thoughts that come about at unexpected moments and bring a smile and sometimes a craving. I don't know if that means that I miss being at home.

I guess everyone has different memories and different things that fit into their definition of home. For me, home means Mama reading the newspaper or doing his writing in the morning and then showing you what he has written, it means him reciting the Jata-kata shiv tandav stotram right after he has taken his shower, it means the roti-sabzi or dosa that Mami or Mummy make for breakfast, it means the lazy Sunday morning for me, but the busy morning for Tan who cleans and dusts the rooms, it means Papa and Mummy drinking their tea while Mummy worries about what to cook for lunch, it means Mami watching some old movie or a soap opera on TV, it means the badminton games or evening walks with Mama. It also means Mami asking me or Tan what Mummy-Papa are doing whenever you go up to her and Mummy-Papa asking me what Mama-Mami are doing whenever you go down, which I find amusing. It means always having a choice between two places for a meal, but also having to balance that out so I eat at both the places equal number of times. It also means doing Pujas twice on every festival and eating twice the prasad. It means being home for Diwali and cleaning and dusting through the day and lighting the diyas through the evening. It means getting together for the celebration of Diwali in the evening. It means the way Tan keeps pulling my leg for no reason and also the late night movies that I watch with her. Home is also the fun we have when Didi and Bhaiji come for vacation. What home really means is a collection of all these memories together. 

So yes, sometimes I think about all of these, more so during festivals and less often when I have too much work on my mind. But, it is something that's always there in me.  

-RS

#home

Comments

  1. We’ve been stumbling around the internet and found your blog along the way.

    We love your work! What a great corner of the internet :)

    tax accountant

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Nature gives us no choice...

The breaking news story in the world of sports right now is the one about Serena Williams announcing her pregnancy. And while this is probably good news, it is not something her fans look forward to. I'm sure it must have been a huge decision for her and something that she must be coming to terms with even now as I write this. The pregnancy means that Serena Williams, the best women's tennis player ever in the open era, who is still at her prime and has just won the Australian Open 2017 will now miss the rest of the season this year. How unfair is that! Why does she have to choose between being a mother and playing tennis when her male counterparts just go through parenthood with a breeze. They never ever have to sit out, never have to make such life changing decisions, never have to contemplate and plan their return to tennis after the birth of their child. 
It is just frustrating that the likes of Djokovic and Federer have been at their prime winning titles with fatherhood …

Ten realizations after working in a wet lab

I started working in a biology lab about a year ago and realized quite a few things while I learnt the ropes. Here they are in no particular order. You go through a lot of pipette tips and latex gloves thereby generating a lot of non-biodegradable waste. So yeah, research does not always help the world, sometimes it just generates new trash. You run out of good clothes because almost all of them have bleach stains on them. And of course, that's because you're too lazy to put on a lab coat. You develop a bit of an OCD coz' you're constantly worried that you didn't turn on the shaker, or left your bacteria plate in the incubator for too long or left the gas on, etc. I can actually list a whole page of stuff I worry about long after I've left for home. :PBacterial contamination can ruin your experiments and make you lose a day and sometimes more.Tiny tubes of 40 micro-liters of enzyme cost over USD 200. That sure seems like a lot of money!You have to make media an…

Because I watched Wonder Woman... :D

I am just back from a screening of Wonder Woman and I must say that it is a gorgeous film. It has a good story, stunning visuals, several funny moments and the best part is that it has a female superhero in a movie that's this big! I loved it. I loved how she has a large presence as a very very strong woman. It is truly a joy to watch a female superhero saving the hero, being badass and taking the lead in the fight against evil. 
This movie is shot almost entirely from a woman's perspective. There are many scenes where Wonder Woman is seen perplexed about the ways of men and mankind, she wonders why a woman would wear a tight dress if she can't fight in it, or why she isn't allowed in a council discussing the future course for the "great war". She questions the role of men in life going as far as saying that she's learned that "men are integral to reproduction, but unnecessary for the purposes of pleasure". This was an awesome line and it's…